I recently discovered that the cause of my sugar cravings was an overgrowth of Candida yeast.
Candida naturally occurs in the body but sometimes can grow in abundance due to:
- Oral contraceptives (The chemical balance in the stomach can be thrown off by the hormonal imbalances caused by the Pill. This can lead to an overgrowth of the yeast that usually works to digest food.)
- Antibiotics. (They kill bad bacteria but also good bacteria that eats yeast.)
- Alcohol, Sugar, and Refined and processed foods. (Yeast feeds on sugar.)
- Caffeine. (Weakens the adrenals and can impair immune system. Coffee can also contain mold.)
When left untreated, the fungus can branch long filaments (hyphae) into your bowels and cause holes to appear. This is referred to as leaky gut syndrome. When this occurs, toxic microorganisms and macromolecules can enter into your circulatory system. This leads to food allergies, inflammation issues, and can eventually turn into a full on autoimmune disease.
Symptoms of an overgrowth of Candida are:
- Bloating, cramping, gas after eating.
- Headaches, mental fogginess.
- Food allergies.
- Athletes foot, vagintis.
- Strong sweet cravings.
I have decided that for the month of September 2014 I'm doing a full-on Candida cleanse along with consuming 4L of Water per day. I will be posting update videos regularly on YouTube so feel free to join me on this journey and let me know how you're doing! I will most likely be continuing this cleanse into November and December.
If you have a sugar addiction that you can't seem to break, here is your invitation to join me on this adventure. We can root each other on!
Foods to AVOID on the Candida cleanse:
- Sugar and artificial sweeteners.
- Grapes, oranges, mushrooms. All tropical fruit.
- Grains (If you do consume grains make sure they are whole grains.)
- Peanuts, cashews, corn, pistachios
- Refined and processed everything
- Hydrogenated oils, MSG
- Preservatives, sulphites, guar gum, etc
- Soy sauce, miso, vinegars (Apple cider vinegar okay to consume.)
- Dried fruit
- Tea (Tisanes okay.)
Foods you CAN eat on this cleanse:
- Eggs (Some people have allergies to the whites so make sure they work for you.)
- Max 2 cups of coffee/day
- Plain Yogurt
- Veggies, all kinds, especially spinach, kale, swiss chard, parsley, endives, bok choy, cabbage, radish, broccoli, cauliflower. Avoid starchy vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, yams and squash.
- Wild Pacific Sockeye salmon (Contains Astaxanthin, one of the world's most powerful antioxidants.)
- 1 piece of fruit daily (Plums, apples, pears, peaches or berries.)
- Coconut products
- Olive oil
- Spirulina and chlorella (Help to remove heavy metals from your body.)
- Stick to herbs rather than spices (Garlic, onions and ginger are okay.)
I also highly suggest taking a daily vitamin along with: B12, Vitamin C, Zinc, B6, D. Consume lots of beta-carotene. (Goji berries are a great source!) Digestive herbal teas containing dandelion and Echinacea are beneficial. It's also might be helpful to incorporate some probiotics. Saccharomyces Boulardii is a great one. Also L-Glutamine is beneficial. Add the powder to some water or your green drink in the morning. It repairs the gut wall and is a source of fuel for white blood cells and cells lining the intestines. It also supports immune functioning.
Daily meal plan:
Breakfast: Free-range eggs cooked in coconut or olive oil seasoned with sea salt.
Lunch: Salad with kale, spinach, avocado, cucumber, hemp, lemon juice. Add protein source.
Snack: Piece of fruit.
Dinner: Steamed cauliflower, broccoli, celery, endives. Add protein source.
Breakfast: Yogurt and berries.
Lunch: Salad with roasted asparagus, onions, spring greens, spinach, pumpkins seeds (amazing source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-parasitic properties). Add protein source.
Snack: Green smoothie with your favourite leafy greens along with a green superfood blend.
Dinner: Raw Avo-Cuke soup. Chop 1/2 a cucumber and add pieces into blender. Blend along with 2 large avocados, 1/4 onion, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 1/2 cups water, salt and garlic (powerful anti-fungal) to taste.
Another easy snack to prepare on this diet is a Dill-icious Coleslaw: Chop 2 cups cabbage and grate 1 radish. Mix together with dressing made from 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, a dash of dill and a pinch of salt.
Feel free to leave me comments on my YouTube channel to let me know how this diet is working out for you. I've been on it for a couple days now and man on man, do I ever feel energized and empowered! Super excited to continue on this journey. :)
If you want to check out more amazing superfood blends and powders, check out Sunburst Superfoods: http://bit.ly/1qS1b0S